Now is the perfect time for your business to plan its 2011 PR strategy. Build upon the momentum of 2010 and continue the relationships you have formed with the organizations in your community.
When building your 2011 PR strategy plan, ask yourself three questions:
• What is your main PR goal for 2011?
• What measures do you have to take to achieve this goal?
• How can I engage the media and community’s interest in our initiative?
Once you have your goals listed think of the following key elements to incorporate into the plan:
• Indentify key concerns/issues of importance with your business and its PR goals;
• Look at your goals and ask: “Is this realistic?”, “What is the desired outcome?” ;
• Determine your key audience. Perhaps it’s some local elected officials, the media, the community etc.;
• Develop a formal plan for each goal, highlighting key activities and timelines; and
• Establish communication by building on existing relationship with your key targeted audience.
A great example would be:
• Goal: Increase my business’s visibility in the community.
• Measure (Action Plan): Launch a new partnership or campaign with a local charity.
If it’s your first time creating your PR plan, the New Year is a wonderful opportunity to start fresh and strategize an appropriate plan for your business.
Remember: Public Relations is key to increasing awareness and building the brand. It creates that important dialogue between the news media and the organization for the long-term.
For more information please feel free to contact me at 613-233-8906 or by e-mail at email@example.com with questions or comments.
Huw Williams is President of Impact Public Affairs, an Ottawa-based public relations and government relations firm specializing in finding innovative strategic communications and advocacy solutions for large industry associations. Over the years, Impact has been recognized nationally and internationally for the effective and creative public affairs campaigns that it has created for its clients.