Regardless of the time of year, many nonprofit organizations in your community are always in need of support. Offering your time or making a significant donation can not only enhance your business’ profile in the community, but it is an excellent way to engage your employees on the importance of giving back.
When partnering with a local organization, you open the lines of accessibility to your company and the community is able to sense the reliability, support and commitment your business has with not only the consumer, but the partnership it has with like minded organizations.
You may prefer to make your donation or contribution in private; however, there are a number of ways to generate interest from the community and media alike through your donation. A donation not only enhances your businesses image but it enhances the image of the nonprofit, encouraging others to donate their time or money to the cause.
To make your donation a success, follow these simple steps:
• Make the donation unique. Think about what your company has to offer that is different from another. Donating money to a specific resource such as a new basketball court for the Boys and Girls Club or refurbished computers to a local school will entice the media because your donation will help achieve something specific and productive.
• Set-up a photo opportunity with the nonprofit Director and your staff. Give the media a specific opportunity to attend and capture the moment.
• Promote the nonprofit organization and your donation through the media. Pitch the media on the story and history of the organization and explain why your donation is urgently needed.
• Invite local celebrities, politicians and activists to the donation ceremony to help build awareness.
• We all know how important it is to spread acts of kindness. Engaging your employees and giving back to your community boosts your company’s morale and encourages the community to pay-it-forward.
For more information please feel free to contact me at 613-233-8906 or by e-mail at email@example.com with questions or comments.
Huw Williams is President of Impact Public Affairs, an Ottawa-based public relations and government relations firm specializing in finding innovative strategic communications and advocacy solutions for large industry associations. Over the years, Impact has been recognized nationally and internationally for the effective and creative public affairs campaigns that it has created for its clients.