The hockey club was one of several institutions and people honoured at the annual United Way Community Builder of the Awards Year Gala, held this year at the Ottawa Convention Centre.
Senators officials were thanked for their work supporting young hockey players and also establishing the "Do It For Daron" initiative for mental health in honour of Daron Richardson, the daughter of Ottawa Senators assistant coach Luke Richardson who took her own life in November.
Dave Seibel, past chairman of Accenture Canada Inc. and a member of the United Way board of directors, received the United Way Ambassador's Award, which was co-sponsored by OBJ.
A selection of other recipients included:
- TD Canada Trust (Best Community Campaign)
- Ottawa Community Housing (Belonging to the Community Award)
- Export Development Canada (Best Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign)
- The Men's Project (Speak Up Award)
- Causeway Work Centre (Take Action Award).