The annual awards program recognizes accomplished industry leaders who are under the age of 40 and also give back to their community. The awards are co-hosted by Ottawa Business Journal and the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce.
“When you look at the ingenuity and success of these leaders in our community, you realize that Ottawa has a great future ahead of it. We have to continue to celebrate the successes of our entrepreneurs and trailblazers in the private sector, because that’s where the future is,” said Erin Kelly, the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce’s executive director and one of the panel of judges determining the awards.
The committee also included University of Ottawa Telfer EMBA director Sophia Leong, Invest Ottawa Entrepreneurship Centre manager Michael Burnatowski, CellWand Communications CEO Nick Quain, OBJ editor Peter Kovessy and OBJ publisher Michael Curran, who also chaired the process.
The judges collectively spent approximately 100 hours reviewing and ranking each of the submissions.
All nominations were assessed according to a 40-point system: 20 points for business achievement, 10 points for expertise and 10 points for community involvement.
“It is always really interesting to evaluate such a large group of successful businesspeople, ranging from lawyers and accountants, to technology executives and CEOs, to serial entrepreneurs,” said Mr. Quain.
All recipients are invited to meet each other at a Telfer event May 31 to share their business experiences, culminating in a wine-and-cheese reception from 4 to 6 p.m.
The recipients will also be feted June 21 from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at The Hilton Lac-Leamy. The gala supports the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health through a charity draw that includes fabulous prizes.
Forty Under 40 recipients will also be profiled in OBJ’s June 11 newspaper issue.
- Adam Aptowitzer, Drache Aptowitzer LLP
- James Baker, David Aplin Group
- Theresa Balys-Bertuzzi, Tiny Hoppers
- Shawn Boyd, ARP Technologies
- Brian Brady, S.i. Systems
- Kyle Braatz, Netgen
- Anthony Bruni, Colizza Bruni Architecture
- Dan Cardamore, QNX Software Systems
- Brigida Castrucci-Aversa, Tiny Hoppers
- Jennifer Cross, Premiere Executive Suites
- Danny Crossman, Impakt Protective
- Jason Daley, uCreateMedia
- Mason Du, Benbria
- Deepak Dutt, Zighra
- Fadi Ghaby, Thann
- Craig Hall, Equator Coffee Roasters
- Hees Ham, ExitCertified Corp.
- Peter Hauderowicz, PODS of Ottawa
- Heidi Hauver, Pythian
- Todd Jamieson, Envision Online Media
- Julie Kingstone, LiveWorkPlay
- Judith Klenik, verTerra Corp.
- Philip Kurtz, Research in Motion
- Shannon Lambert, Veritaaq
- Marc Lepine, Atelier Restaurant
- Jeff Letourneau, Eastern Ontario Regional Laboratory Association
- James Mackenzie, Granite Networks
- Eric Macramalla, Gowlings LLP
- Brendan Marsden, Western Union Business Solutions
- Bryan McKenzie, Fast Track Staffing
- Bronwyn Mondoux, Cinnamon Toast New Media
- Alex Munro, Heart and Crown Irish Pubs
- Bruce Norman, PCL Constructors Canada
- Brett Patrontasch, Scholars at Your Service
- Alexandra Pontbriand, First Air
- Tony Priftakis, Le Buffet des continents
- Arvind Ramaswamy, RevealIT Solutions
- Fiona Smith Bradley, Smith Bradley & McGrath
- Dale Stevenson, The Leadership Group
- Geoff Waddington, RealDecoy