Pop hits replace rock on 106.9 FM as The Bear becomes JUMP!

OBJ Staff
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Ottawa has a new radio station.

(Stock image)

Corus Entertainment on Monday morning completed the rebranding of its 106.9 FM station, which is officially known as CKQB FM, with a new branding and format.

The station, which played rock music as The Bear until March 6, began broadcasting under the name Jump! on Monday morning.

With the new branding, the station has also switched formats. It now focuses on top 40 hits.

Corus, which bought the station for $10 million late last year, says the relaunched station will have a strong focus on social media.

The new format will put the station in direct competition with Ottawa’s other top 40 station, Hot 89.9 FM. Also known as CIHT FM, it was Ottawa’s second most popular radio station and most popular music station during the fall ratings period.

Organizations: Corus Entertainment, CIHT-FM

Geographic location: Ottawa

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Stephen Middleton
    April 10, 2014 - 20:33

I miss my Bear, I listened to the station for years. It was part of my day, didn't know I was so set it my ways. Anywho, wish you all the best and if you ever want to come back feel free to. Take care Stephen

• Jan
    April 09, 2014 - 14:42

I'm very sad to lose the Bear. I do not like this station at all. I will be taking it off my car radio. Pop is ok sometimes, but this station plays crap pop, never heard most of the songs. Guess I'll be turning my dial to 97.7. I will miss the Bear and all the crew.

• Jan
    April 09, 2014 - 14:40

• D White
    April 03, 2014 - 12:16

The new format really sucks! All they play is music geared toward teens....what about the hundreds of thousands of Baby-Boomers out there like me that would like to hear music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's?? Very poor marketing decision....I no longer even turn that radio station on AT ALL.

• Gord
    April 03, 2014 - 12:06

Is this for real. Worst thing ever...you lost a listener. All the best cities have a rock station Ottawa is now second rate and so is your station. BOO!

• Julie
    April 03, 2014 - 05:40

I am completely disgusted with the "new format"...if I wanted to listen to Top 40 I would listen to 89.9. The Bear offered a completely different style of music and was the only station I listened to. My morning coffee will never be the same!

• Gord
      April 03, 2014 - 12:09

Where do we go now? KISW in Seattle? is CHOM in Montreal still a good rock station?

• Mike
    April 01, 2014 - 19:45

This is extremely sad... and utterly incomprehensible. How is replacing Rock by Top 40 crap a sensible decision? it does not make sense. The Bear rocked the NCR for years, and was by far the best Rock station out there. Now, there is one less Rock station, and this listener will not listen to Top 40 crap, period. RIP The Bear.

• Pat
    April 01, 2014 - 11:03

Shame on you for breaking a perfectly good radio station.

• shawn
    April 01, 2014 - 10:26

This station is now garbage the stuff sounds like something you would hear while getting your teeth drilled in a dentists office and nearly as painful to listen to. Now there is even less to listen to.

• Larry Poirier
    April 01, 2014 - 08:37

This totally sucks. More pop, I really don't see the need for more of the same as we get on 89.9, 88.5 (somewhat), 105.3. I mean I like Katy Perry and Rihanna, but how much MORE do we need.