City council has rejected a Toronto developer’s application for a zoning change that would have allowed it to build a 12-storey building on Wellington Street West.
Mizrahi Developments’ application was turned down by a vote of 17-6 on Wednesday morning.
The move comes two weeks after council’s planning committee voted to recommend that council reject the plan on the grounds that the building was too tall and that the existing community design plan should be respected to ensure consistency. Current zoning at the 1451 Wellington St. W. property allows a maximum height of nine storeys.
Some residents in the surrounding community praised the developer for its extensive consultation process and plans to redevelop a property many people described as a nuisance. But others opposed to the plan said they want new buildings in the area to stay within predictable nine-storey limits.
Sam Mizrahi, president of the development company, told the planning committee earlier this month that if council rejected his application he would appeal it to the Ontario Municipal Board.
Mr. Mizrahi had argued that due to bedrock and contamination on the site, the extra storeys were necessary for the development to be economically viable.