Ottawa oldies station converts to all-news format

OBJ Staff
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI) says it’s launching an all-news radio station in Ottawa next week.

(file photo)

The media company says 1310 News will replace Oldies 1310 and will provide news, traffic, weather, sports, business and entertainment reports.

“We're delighted to have the opportunity to deliver comprehensive 24/7 news coverage to the residents of Ottawa and the Valley,” said station manager Scott Parsons in a statement.

The new station is expected to compete with news-talk station CFRA, which is owned by CTVglobemedia.

Rogers Broadcasting says it has 53 AM and FM radio stations across the country.

Organizations: CTVglobemedia, Rogers Broadcasting

Geographic location: Ottawa

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Todd
    October 14, 2010 - 17:35

What's all this about not needing another all news station? We don't even have one! CFRA has limited and shotty news coverage mixed in with a lot of chatter and ranting. Overnight and weekend news is scarce and frequently slow to the air. I've listened to the Rogers news format in two other cities and it is all news and useful information all the time. A proper news station for Ottawa is LONG overdue and I'm thrilled it's finally coming to the capital. I went out this morning and added it to my radio presets just to be ready for next Monday!

• Peter
    October 13, 2010 - 18:40

Who's going to broadcast the Blue Jays games in Ottawa now?

• D.J.
    October 13, 2010 - 13:49

Personally I think CFRA rocks. Especially the new business reporter. She's awesome.

• Baylor
    October 13, 2010 - 05:04

Thank goodness! I'm tired of Cfra's right wing / pessimistic/angry view of the world

• Lorraine
      October 13, 2010 - 12:25

I am infuriated by the change! I've been listening to Oldies 1310 since I was 11, I'm now 35. It was the only good thing on the AM dial. I think this change will be detrimental, and if it doesn't work they will never get all their listeners back. Why would their loyal listeners want to stay on just to listen to news. we do not need another news station!!

• J.S.
    October 12, 2010 - 19:01

This news, while not entirely surprising, is truly disappointing. I've been a loyal listener of Oldies 1310 for as long as it's been around, and will miss it terribly. Ottawa REALLY doesn't need another news station.

• JOHN FLOOD
    October 12, 2010 - 18:50

Too bad....this was the station that I listened to all the time while I was in the car. I guess I will have to search for another one. Yap, yap, yap - we already have one gasbag radio station, and we certainly don't need two.

• cynthia martin
    October 12, 2010 - 18:48

With the change does that mean that the Sunday morningprogram Sentimental Journay will no longer by available?? With the demise of Dick Mahoney this may be the outcome. Sorry to hear the more melodic and gentle music will be a thing of the past. Cynthia Martin .

• John in Nepean
    October 12, 2010 - 17:48

Disappointing. As if Ottawa needs yet another 24/7 news source. I'll miss the music.