EZ Rock rebrands as boom 99.7

OBJ Staff
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Ottawa's EZ Rock radio station is relaunching as boom 99.7 as of Thursday afternoon.

(Stock image)

This is the second such change in recent months, following a switch in Toronto from Astral-owned EZ Rock to a boom station there. Its target audience will be 35-to-54-year-old women in Ottawa.

"The format shift is simply a natural evolution driven by changing market demand and listener feedback," stated Denis Bouchard, boom general manager.

“With our well-defined position, boom will be a perfect fit for women 35-54 in this very competitive market."

The shift means artists such as Duran Duran, The Police, Queen and INXS will get more airtime along with singers that were previously featured prominently on 99.7 EZ Rock, such as Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles.

Personnel changes were not disclosed in the release, although former EZ Rock morning show host Neil Hedley announced his departure from the station last week.

While saying in a blog post that Astral was the best company he worked for, he added, "I'm not the guy you need if you’re playing ten songs an hour on your morning show."

In Ottawa, this is the second rebranding of a station in 2011; in February, Virgin 106.9 went back to its original name, The Bear.

Geographic location: Toronto, Ottawa

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Sly
    March 07, 2013 - 09:12

I started to listen to this station for about 2 weeks now and I noticed that they play the same songs too many times.. I used to listen to it while at work everyday and eventually you get tired of listening to the same songs over and over.. there is so many songs out there from the 70's to 90's and they seem to play the same songs. especially the end of the word song. man that is overplayed.. I adore t80's music so much that I even have an 1988 car to make it more interesting. I think this radio station is intended for people to listen to it everyday because you will get tired of time.. If you listen to this station occasionally then it's fine.. They should play songs like only once in a month so people can actually enjoy the song. Now I listen to my itunes which it's better...

• Paul
    September 08, 2011 - 18:22

I just stated to listen to Boom and have been pleasantly surprised for the good. I'm in my mid 50's and really enjoy the selection of music. We started listening to it at a great party and everybody was asking where the owner had gotten the music. The people who are complaining should go back to Majic or any other station that talks more than it plays music. Maybe they should start listening to C.B.C. Radio!!

• Disappointed Listener
    August 04, 2011 - 12:05

I was so saddened to realize that EZ Rock had disappeared, only to be replaced by a station much like 93.9 (80's, 90's and WHATEVER!) ... EZ Rock was that perfect in-between station between the Jewel (98.8) and Chez - sometimes, one or other just didn't cut it and more often than not, I found myself tuned into EZ Rock. Did BOOM not consider that BOB FM was exactly the same as what they were looking to push? Whatever happened to market research ....

• Diane
    July 19, 2011 - 08:59

Hi. I used to listen to MAJIC 100 and switched to EZ Rock. With the change to boom I'm not overly impressed. Not the kind of music I like anymore. EZ Rock was nice easy listening. In any case, I would like to see EZ Rock come back.

• J, M and Joseph
    July 18, 2011 - 15:32

what the heck is happening to the Ottawa radio stations? Yours isn't tolerable anymore and none of the others have been for ages. Looks like I'll be gaining in the 'smart' category - listening to CFRA gives me insight on everything newsworthy - local, national and beyond - and allows me to hear other peoples' opinions on issues of the day. I love music too much to go without it but I can't/won't put up with whatever it is the music-formatted stations are putting out there. People over 50, such as myself, may as well go deaf - there's not much worth listening to anymore and, for the most part, that includes the news, too!

• Karen
    July 08, 2011 - 08:57

I hated EZ Rock, it was a last choice on my dial. Tuned in yesterday and LOVED hearing Prism and Spaceship Superstar. Boy did that take me back! I cranked up the volume and sang all the way home. It is now my FIRST choice.

• Wendy
    July 07, 2011 - 15:46

I'm sorry, but I hate it! As Barbara said, I switched from Majic to EZ Rock, and now I've switched back. Boom sounds just like Bob FM! If I wanted 80's musice I'd listen to them. Very dissapointed!

• Robyn
    July 06, 2011 - 09:52

I am NOT happy with the switch at all!!! Even my 6 year old has made a comment that the EZ Rock Breakfast show was WAY better than this boom station, I no longer listen to the stating, bring EZ Rock back!

• active morning listener
    July 05, 2011 - 16:33

The morning show is supposed to be the strength of a radio station so I understand. Viv was an inspiration to all women and fun to listen to each morning. I can understand them getting rid of Neil.....he never let Viv get a word in edge-wise and was to over-powering , or at least tried to be. The format wasn't the issue, finding a co-host to keep up with Viv's energy is what was needed. I'm done with Astral. Who's in charge there...Brian Burke ?

• Cate
      July 06, 2011 - 18:49

Viv is NOT an inspiration to all women - certainly not to this woman. Neil is articulate, witty and intelligent, and had worthwhile and balanced viewpoints. Viv;s style does not appeal to me personally. I fit the demographic that boom is after and I do NOT like it.

• Marianne Guint
    July 03, 2011 - 12:46

Hi everyone at Boom 99.7: I have to say I really enjoyed the comments of Viv and Neil at EZ Rock 99.7 , they were a great group, very saddened about the whole change, now having 10 songs in the row is what I call same old same old, NOTHING ORIGINAL I guess I will be changing STATION back to Majic 100 they play the same but AT LEAST THEY TALK IN BETWEEN I GUESS IT ROLLS DOWN TO THE MIGHTY DOLLAR SAD TO SEE THE CHANGE I REALLY ENJOYED THE STYLE OF EZ ROCK 99.7 TAKE CARE BOOM (REALLY DO NOT LIKE THAT NAME) MAYBE PERHAPS HAVE ANOTHER NAME LIKE "99.7 NEW WAVE" OR EVEN" 99.7 SMOKING HOT" ,ANYTHING BUT BOOM WHAT IS THIS VERY ODD NAME PERHAPS IN TORONTO BUT IN OTTAWA NEED SOMETHING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT LIKE" KABOOM 99.7 MORE STRENGTH IN THE NAME. BYE FOR NOW GOOD LUCK

• Gen McInnes
      July 14, 2011 - 16:15

This is the most ridiculous comment I have ever seen. You're right, "Kaboom" is SO much better than "Boom"... Get off your soapbox.

• Sal
    July 02, 2011 - 09:24

You have been asking for feedback on your new format. I hate to say it but you ared sounding just like many of the other rock station in Ottawa "aloud sounding station" I like your previous format and its a shame you have changed. S

• BArbara Savage
      July 02, 2011 - 22:16

I hate it, left majic 100 for your EZ rock format, will go back to majic, BOOM is not for my age generation, I htink you are reaching a bit to say you are marketing for 25-54.. I dont get it..Bad decision

• peter
    June 30, 2011 - 22:53

What a terrible station. They add nothing different to the Ottawa airwaves. All we have is noise, noise, noise. That's what happens when its all about the money. I hope they go bankrupt.

• Mike
      July 01, 2011 - 07:57

Re: "All we have is noise, noise, noise" What are you 80? Personally I welcome the change!

• active listener
      July 01, 2011 - 12:27

I think it is a terrific station. The songs make me recall great memories and wonderful times. Peter - if you don't like it - don't listen. Other radio stations would be happy to have you tune in. Let the rest of us enjoy this one without you!