Nine Ottawa grocery stores are among 87 across Ontario that have been given approval to sell beer and cider starting in April.
They join more than 200 other stores already authorized to sell the alcoholic beverages in the province. About 70 of those stores can also sell wine.
The Ottawa stores include:
- Farm Boy, 3035 St. Joseph Blvd.
- Farm Boy, 1250 Stittsville Main St.
- Loblaws, 363 Rideau St.
- Loblaws, 1460 Merivale Rd.
- McDaniel’s Your Independent Grocer, 200 Grant Carman Dr.
- Real Canadian Superstore, 4270 Innes Rd.
- Walmart, 3651 Strandherd Dr.
- Walmart, 1375 Baseline Rd.
- Walmart, 5357 Fernbank Rd.
In a news release, the province said the grocers were selected in a competitive bidding process run by the LCBO. Of the 87 stores, 11 are independently owned and 76 are owned by large grocery chains.
The province says beer and wine were ultimately be sold in up to 450 grocery stores, with as many as 300 of those also allowed to sell wine.