More international students in Canada transitioning to permanent residence

There has been a significant increase in the number of international students choosing to study in Canada in the past couple of years. Canadian universities have reported experiencing a substantial increase in the enrolment of international students. This could be attributed to several factors. For starters, Canada has a reputation for being a stable and welcoming destination for studies despite the emerging political events worldwide. This has made it become a top ten study destination when it comes to hosting international students, a statement that can be supported by facts seeing that enrolled doubles every year.

A second factor that could be cited as a reason for the growing numbers of international students is the recent election of Donald Trump as president of USA. After this event, there was a noticeable spike in numbers of students arriving from abroad to study in Canada. Questions arose regarding the political climate of the US, and because of this international student resorted to looking beyond the US and into Canada. Peace in a country is very crucial to the education system. Political stability in a country automatically brings in peace and a welcoming environment for education and innovation.

There has also been another incentive by the Canadian government that has led to this increase in the enrolment of international students. The Ministry of Immigration has come up with a plan that will help the students acquire visas more easily. Canadian universities have started offering more scholarships to many students from third world countries qualifying for education that would otherwise have been out of their reach without the financial support. The government also came up with a plan of incentivizing more immigrants into Canada. These immigrants eventually turn into students as the government looks into tapping the knowledge and skills of other countries.

However, despite there being such a notable increase in enrolment of the international students, the government cannot give an accurate number of the international students studying in Canada. Matthew Jeffrey, Canadian immigration lawyer, explains it as a significant number of international students who do not have study permits yet they are still studying in Canadian universities. A study permit allows an overseas student to remain in Canada as a temporary resident for the study period. Obtaining such a study permit is followed by some conditions. One, the student should be formally enrolled or admitted by a Canadian university. After receiving a formal admission, the applicant must be able to prove that they have sufficient funds to cater for the school fees and living expenses throughout the study period in Canada. Applicants must also prove to the immigration authorities’ satisfaction that after the end of the study period, they will leave Canada.

Acquiring a study permit and going through the entire immigration process can be tiresome and stressful especially for first-time immigrants. However, it can be made easier if an applicant hires a lawyer who is experienced and trustworthy on immigration matters. First, the student needs to get a formal admission into a Canadian school, may it be a university or college, and make sure he or she has enough financial support to cater for fees and living expenses during the study time. With these, the Matthew Jeffrey Law Office will assist applicants to apply and obtain study permits in no time.

International Students Transition to Permanent Canadian Residence

There has been a growing trend where students from overseas opt to extend their stay in Canada after completion of their studies. The Ministry of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship in Canada, recently issued a statement that they are coming up with measures and programs designed to retain international students after graduation. This means with a study permit, students are able to work part-time while studying without a separate work permit. Moreover, the study permit also allows them to acquire permanent residence status in Canada.

Once a student is through with the course study successfully, he or she may apply for a PGWP (Post-Graduate Work Permit) which is always valid for up to three years. With this work permit, the applicant is able to work full time anywhere in Canada and for any firm or business. However, if an applicant is able to obtain a one-year full-time skilled work experience, he or she may then qualify to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class. But there are still other provincial or federal programs through which applicants can apply for permanent residence.

Housing for International Students

International students always experience the most challenges when looking for proper housing and at the right price during their stay in Canada. While studying, students need a conducive place to stay in for them to concentrate on their studies. They need to feel at home, with all amenities near them. Remember a student needs a house that is comfortable, near the campus, an Internet for study research, proximity to amenities like the medical centers, barbers, gym, recreational and entertainment centers among others. With all these provided, students will be able to have a comfortable stay and concentrate better on their studies.

Most of the times international students prefer to stay in residences nearby the school. For example, in September, 2017 new housing complex for students called The Quad was opened near York University Keele campus. Quad offers spacious student living apartments which are fully amenitized, fully furnished units, wireless internet connection, a gym, and lounge areas. Students love privacy, and these apartments offer much more privacy than the average student housing. Quad is also a complete business unit as it offers students with access to many services. This is the kind of housing provides students with necessary accommodations, personal safety and close proximity to educational institution.

Other ways that the government could encourage the transition of international students to permanent residence after graduation is by streamlining the application process, giving more points to work experience, and spreading the message to encourage more applications in Canada. It’s safe to say, 2018 is a good year to be an international student in Canada.

Mr. Jeffery holds a law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is Certified as a Specialist in Immigration Law by the Law Society of Upper Canada, which is recognition of his expert status in this field. Mr. Jeffery has over fifteen years of experience exclusively in the field of immigration law, and has the expertise needed to successfully guide his clients through the complicated Canadian immigration system.