The National Capital Commission is looking for public input as it heads back to square one on the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats.
The Crown corporation will hold a public consultation on Tuesday, June 18 at the Canadian War Museum to hear what residents would like to see from the swath of land just west of Ottawa’s downtown core. The open house, which invites the public to share “big ideas” and their priorities for how the massive development opportunity should proceed, will be supplemented by a two-week online survey released following the in-person consultation.
The NCC announced in March that it would parcel out the 59-acre site into smaller development opportunities, starting with the easternmost section next to the land earmarked for Ottawa’s new central library.
Though some, including the Ottawa Board of Trade, criticized the approach as passing up an opportunity for a grand, unified vision for LeBreton Flats, the new strategy seeks to avoid another situation where a few stakeholders held all the cards and could derail discussions on a whim.
The previous request for proposals launched in 2014 saw RendezVous LeBreton – a partnership led by Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and Trinity Development Group – selected as the preferred proponent, only for talks to collapse earlier this year amid litigation between the feuding partners concerning Trinity’s nearby development plans.
NCC chief executive Tobi Nussbaum has said the LeBreton Flats redevelopment project will go ahead with or without a new NHL arena for the Sens – one of the primary sticking points in RendezVous LeBreton’s fraught relationship.
The NCC said it will seek municipal approval of its LeBreton master plan next year.